TFS 2013 Update 2 hangs during upgrade – .NET issue!

Earlier this week I was doing an upgrade of our Team Foundation Server  2013 instance to Update 2. The database and the application tier are installed on the same machine. The installation piece went through without any issue. However when I started the configuration part, in the Update section of the TFS administration console, the application kept hanging on the “Database” screen. It would display the configuration database in the list box, but then just hang.

On looking at the event viewer logs, there were two errors in the “Application Logs” sections (as shown below)


The .NET Runtime error logs provided further clues as to what could be wrong. On opening it I could see the stack trace that linked to a SQL connectivity issue. This seemed odd because I was doing an in-place upgrade and the existing TFS instance was not having any issues with database connectivity (before the update 2 was installed!).

Application: TfsMgmt.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SNIHandle.ReleaseHandle()
   at System.Runtime.InteropServices.SafeHandle.InternalDispose()
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.Dispose()
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Disconnect()
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.LoginFailure()
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(System.Data.ProviderBase.TimeoutTimer, System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionString, System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCredential, System.String, System.Security.SecureString, Boolean)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPoolIdentity, System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionString, System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCredential, System.Object, System.String, System.Security.SecureString, Boolean, System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionString, System.Data.SqlClient.SessionData)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(System.Data.Common.DbConnectionOptions, System.Data.Common.DbConnectionPoolKey, System.Object, System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool, System.Data.Common.DbConnection, System.Data.Common.DbConnectionOptions)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool, System.Data.Common.DbConnection, System.Data.Common.DbConnectionOptions, System.Data.Common.DbConnectionPoolKey, System.Data.Common.DbConnectionOptions)

On doing some more online searches it turns out that the above SQL error is caused because of .NET 4.5.1. More details of this issue seen in this KB article from Microsoft at (example 3 is close to the error we see in the event viewer). As suggested in the “Resolution” section, I went ahead and installed Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 from

After restarting the machine I was able to successfully go ahead and  connect to the databases and finish the upgrade to TFS 2013 Update 2.

This entry was posted in Team Foundation Server and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s